Volunteer Opportunities for Head Start
Volunteers are an important part of our Head Start program. We have a great need for volunteers in a number of areas including:
- Helping in a classroom full of 3 and 4-year old children
- Provide training/professional development opportunities or space for staff and parents
- Cleaning, painting, and helping with the general repair of the facilities
- Sharing a special talent such as music, karate, juggling
- Donating funds or items of need for our program such as books, paper, etc.
- Much, much more….
Who can volunteer?
Anyone who has a passion for helping children and families. Each Head Start volunteer must fill out an application form, sign an agreement of confidentiality, and agree to a background check since the safety of our children is our utmost concern.
Why are volunteers so important to the Urban League Head Start program?
In addition to helping our program run more smoothly, each volunteer’s contribution of time is assigned a dollar value and counted as a donation. In order for our program to qualify for the federal grant which covers 80% of our operating budget, Head Start is required to collect donations totaling 20% of our budget. Donations of volunteer time help us meet this requirement.
How do I get involved?
To find out more about becoming a Head Start volunteer, please contact Melanie Chambers at (314) 506-5396 or email@example.com.